Saturday 5 January 2008

Idea of heaven?

I went for a wander today around Hampstead Cemetery at the top of Fortune Green Road. This is often commented on as a good place to go for a walk around and it has taken me many years to get round to it. Sight of this lovely photo posted on flickr by 'outblissed' spurred me into action (and lets face it, in January - it is good to do something that doesn't cost anything!).

As I walked up the hill past the monstrous building site for the new flats, I turned into the cemetery gates. The place is - well, it is like a cemetery. But the view is significantly better if you cock your head slightly to the right.

To the left, the flats, sorry "updated mansion block" (the architects words, not mine) are even more overwhelming than they are from the road. CZWG are the architects and the flats are already up for sale with Goldschmidt & Howland although they won't be ready till September.

The website states that there will be a central pavilion "in ziggurat form to obviating the overlooking of nearby graves". Great use of the English language.

Although the cemetery is surrounded on most sides by residential housing, which to the north includes some sizable houses, nothing encroaches like the new flats. My viewpoint isn't from a dislike of modern vs 100 year old housing stock. I love modern architecture for both living and commerce, but any architecture should fit in with its surroundings - complementing rather than detracting from the area.

I'm sure the flats will do much to raise the profile and amenities of that stretch of road - for good & bad no doubt, but they aren't for me and I doubt I'm alone.

1 comment:

outblissed said...

Hello

Thank you for the photo credit and kind comments.

Jo (outblissed)