Tuesday 11 March 2008

Sex and the City meets West Hampstead

"Let's go to bake-a-boo."
"Peek-a-boo?"
"No, bake-a-boo."
"Will there be loads of kids?"
"Well, maybe, but come on."


As a small venue, it was a relief that were only a few kids the other Saturday when I went with a girlfriend to bake-a-boo on Mill Lane (although a number of little cherubs had been banished outside by their parents - poor souls). This isn't a place for buggies of a Saturday afternoon as it is a relatively small space and it was packed on our visit.


I have to say that there was a very significant female to male proportion (I counted 1 male waiter). I have been on weekdays and found a few men looking rather uncertain in this girls haven. It does remind me of the SATC girls going to the Magnolia bakery on Bleecker Street.

In comparison though, this is a really cute place to sit for a cup of tea, a cupcake and a natter. The decor is very country kitchen ie Cath Kidston and perfect for the purpose.

I have found the actual cupcakes variable, though a much more sensible size than the enormous Magnolia bakery variety. I had a fabulous moist banana cupcake (on my birthday, hoorah) but a recent lemon one was rather dry and frankly not as good as those at Starbucks.

I would however recommend bake-a-boo to any girl and her friends. I think Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte and Samantha would love it. But you probably want to leave Mr Big at home.

No comments: