Saturday 2 February 2008

Tesco - Every Little Helps?


Does it bollocks.
So, we are to get a Tesco Express. Having only just blogged about our new delis and their need for local support a few weeks ago, it turns out the big boys are wading into the pine shop site. When I heard, my heart sank. I am trully saddened.
I have to say that it didn't at first dawn on me that the furniture shop was actually closing down. What with the fact that it always seems to have a sale on. Although I was (and still am) suspicious about the temporary Paramount estate agents offices next door that haven't had a 'To Let' sign outside for months now.
Truthfully, I have never liked Tesco at the best of times, not cheap and cheerful enough to really help those on a tight budget and not qualitative enough to appeal to the chattering classes. (I did laugh out loud at Sandi Toksvig's line in the Stephen Fry version of Cinderella: "You do like Tesco. It keeps the chavs out of Waitrose.")
Ham & High reports that "Leader of Camden Council and West Hampstead councillor Keith Moffitt said: 'People who are less well off will probably welcome a shop on their doorstep where they can buy things at a reasonable price.'" Right! Because Tesco's 'Finest' ready meals and bags of rocket salad are just what you need when you are budgeting.
But my dislike of Tesco aside, we do not need another convenience store and we have long liked the fact that we were not another high street. Our shops (if not our coffee ones) are unique and local to our area and what makes West Hampstead what it is. Realistically there will not be enough custom for those shops and the lower prices of a new multi store chain.
I had always thought that there was a reason we were chain free. West End Lane is single carriageway and twisty. Far from ideal for delivery trucks. Have they seen the corner with Lymington Road?
I have come across a Lib Dem blog dealing with the issues arising from the opening of the Belsize Park Express store. Apparently morning deliveries now leave between 7.15 & 8am. Well the photo above was taken at ten past eight and those vans were stationary. Could local politicians not have done something before the store opened?
There is an interesting site out there called 'Tescopoly' that highlights concerns with the negative impacts of supermarket power. Maybe there is hope. I for one, certainly hope so. This will be the end of our high street.

2 comments:

Nick Hudgell said...

Where abouts is this?! I've just moved to West Hampstead and although I agree it's a shame to have small shops being taken over by the tescopoly, I'd be interested in shopping there!

Mavadae said...

Well I think that the fall out of this has finally settled. In the last couple of weeks a Sainsbury's has opened presumably using the existence of the Tesco to support it's planning application. As a result the family run general store has closed down directly citing that they cannot and do not want to compete with the bigger chains.