Thursday 7 February 2008

Underground, Overground?


A real bonus of living in West Hampstead is the excellent travel links. The downside, this week, has been being on the Jubilee line. The further downside for me has been that I work in Canary Wharf which has rather poorer transport links - and is also on the Jubilee line.

So how do you go when the Jubilee line is down?

There is no consensus. I take the Overland to Stratford, pray that the Jubilee Line is working from that end or take the DLR. There are a number of problems with this (not least that I stray into Zone 3, thereby costing me money as well as time). This Tuesday, I couldn't get on the first Overland train and the next was delayed (and there are only 4 an hour). When on the train, it was jam packed - and generally the Overland customers don't seem to understand how to cram themselves into a carriage the way us tube dwellers do... And it feels so slow. But you do get a fun view of the rear end of people's houses and the Olympic site. I am very supportive of Ken's plans for the Overground (this is the line that I used to name Scarylink), but we will need a lot of patience and that will be hard if the Jubilee line keeps up its 2008 track record. Time to Canary Wharf: 1hr 10.

Returning on Wednesday was even more problematic. With the Jubilee out, the DLR packed to bursting and boiling points, I took a bus. Canary Wharf is actually a great place to get a bus. Noone knows where they are or where they could possibly get to. I bus'ed to Mile End. Took two tubes to Farringdon, then the Thameslink home. Time home: 1hr 20.

OK, so the timings aren't great - but I did it! And my guess is that lots of you did it somehow different.

Choice. No bad thing.

1 comment:

Ed Fordham said...

I've taken to abadoning trains/tube and getting the 139 to Oxford Circus and getting another line from there, and given two days last week when Jubilee went wrong last week it's a route i'm increasingly familiar with.