Sunday 17 February 2008

Wax On, Wax Off!

Apologies boys, I drew you in with the Title, but you need to stop reading now...

I haven't done a huge amount of research, but in the last 12 months alone, I have been to 5 different ladies in 2 establishments whilst getting my wax done.

I used to go to Holistic, which was fine (and closest to my flat). I then thought I would try the place I see on the way past the tube, the originally titled, "Hair & Beauty Lounge". Lulled in by the offers that they show on the window, I assumed they were newly opened. Turns out that they have been there years but did a make-over a couple of years ago.

Both salons are hairdressers upstairs with beauty rooms below. This can be slightly disconcerting the first time you go as you are uncertain what is down below. I can report that both are nice, clean salons. The Lounge wins out though, as it is quite large downstairs, looks more beauty salon like and opens out into a garden, so has a nice welcoming feel. It is also marginally cheaper - and on an offer day is really quite good value.

But the real find is Santina. This lady is now my heroine. She does a great (and relatively pain free) job using her own tea tree oil wax special concoction which seems to work very well on my hypersensitive skin. She has also worked at the salon for 7 years, so you get the feeling that a) she must be good, b) she will still be there the next time you go - and I find that heartening - the only reason I have seen 5 in the last year is that the girls keep moving on.

So she really is my hot tip - and I feel I should share her with you.

Thinking about it - boys, if you are still reading - you know those sprouty bits on your shoulders - the bits that scare us and are nothing like as cute as they were on Gizmo - Santina may be able to help you...

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Totally true! Santina is a must, not only great beautician but fabulous massages, waxing and other. Once you try her you'll never leave her!

Miss. M said...

Santina is definitely London's Best Kept Secret - fast and painfree waxing, and oh so much cheaper than other salons.

Lesley Silver said...

I am fortunate enough to have known Santina for 8 years and don't know how I could have managed without her. During that time I've gone through many stressful periods (including cancer) and she was always there to make me feel better with her warmth, her big smile and her wonderful beauty treatments.

Not only is she a top rated beauty therapist, but her enthusiasm for life is infectious and it has been a privilege to know her.

Samantha said...

I completely agree! I went to santina for the first time yesterday with the mother of all hangovers and she still managed to perform a relatively painless wax on me despite my very fragile and sensitive disposition! I will definitely be recommending her to all my friends!

Michaela said...

Santina is fantastic! You will never go anywhere else after being waxed by her. Make sure she is in when you call as she only works 3 days a week. I would truely reccomend her to everyone. Don't miss out.

Juliana said...

I would recommend Santina because she can do more than wax. She does a good range of brilliant massages and beauty treatments and is very careful and attentive with people. She goes out of her way to accommodate and fit you in. Wonderful girl!

Unknown said...

Santina is brilliant!! She doesn't works at the Hair and Beauty salon now, but she is freelance and has a new twitter site - find her there on 'Santina Beauty'.

Suzi said...

AW nooo!
Has anyone got a number that I can contact her on if she is no longer at the salon? Really need to find someone good! and I dont have twitter..... can anyone help?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liz hayward said...

I would highly reccommend Santina to everyone, She is the best person that I have ever been waxed by ever. The Brazilian Wax is done to perfection and is very quick and pain free. I travel all the way from South London because she is so good.I will not see anybody
else

Her e-mail address is santinal@tiscali.co.uk

Lesley Silver said...

I just heard that Santina has moved from W. Hampstead to Barbara's Beauty in Little Venice. She is there on Saturdays or by appointment. Barbara is also a fantastic beauty therapist and her Salon is located under the
SAS Hair Salon, 9 Clifton Road, W9 1SZ.

The telephone # is 0207 286 8696.

They offer wonderful beauty treatments for hands, feet, face & body and feature an exceptional range of French skin care products called Ericson Laboratoire.

TRY IT - YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!

santina said...

Hi,good news!!!You can find Santina in facebook as Santina Super wax...